RE: NANFA-L-- Pre Convention Buffalo Camp

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:28:43 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C53EF6.A14173A0

As you know, I am ALL about this! :) Thanks for organizing it Casper!

________________________________

From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on behalf of Prizma-in-aol.com
Sent: Mon 4/11/2005 8:02 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: NANFA-L-- Pre Convention Buffalo Camp

A pre NANFA 2005 Convention option:
Camping on the Buffalo River.
=20
A couple years ago after visiting Bill Hoppe in YELLville i crossed the =
Buffalo River on my way south to Little Rock. I found a neat snorkel =
site on the Buffalo about a mile east of highway 65 called Shine Eye =
that offered free primitive camping, safe parking, a wide sandy gravel =
bar to play on and massive, beautiful cliffs dominating the far side of =
this scenic river. I snorkeled in the cool water and it was beautiful, =
clear and wide. I saw the Arkansas Saddled Darter which motivated me to =
ask Dave Nelly to illustrate it for this year's shirt. It is not only a =
handsome darter but a unique fish to the Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks. =
Suprisingly i also observed White Tail Shiners as i see them way over in =
Chattanooga. In my Peterson's i see there are 2 distinct ranges for =
White Tails. Interesting and lots of other neat things, but i only had =
an hour or two that day. I'm heading back this year! Lots of folks canoe =
this beautiful, clear river and its whole length seems to be designated =
a national wilderness area. Very pristine.
=20
I plan on camping for 2 nights, the Tuesday & Wednesday before the =
convention, June 7 & 8. This is a perfect place to snorkel, relax, camp =
and watch the stars from.
=20
Cabins are also available just 4 or 5 miles away-in-Buffalo Camping & =
Canoeing. Their website is www.gilbertstore.com. Several options are =
available in the cabins. I'm keen on camping but a cabin would be =
interesting if enough folks were so motivated. Their "Benjamin Cabin" is =
still available and sleeps 10. It would run about $35 each per night w/ =
a 2 night minimum. Full kitchen, linens, TV and its only 30 yards to the =
river. 2 or 4 person cabins are also available for $65 a night. Check =
their site for details.
=20
This pre convention camping opportunity provides a good look-in-some =
Ozark species thus freeing one up for a different convention foray =
saturday as there will be 5 options and you can only do one that day!
=20
If you have an Arkansas Gazeer check out page 25, 7i and you will see a =
red road running east off of 65 just north of the river. This is the =
camping site known as Shine Eye tho it is not labeled or even signed-in-=
the site. Just follow the dirt road and it deadends-in-the parking site =
and river. The cabins are just northeast-in-Gilbert, back to hwy 65, a =
bit north then east on 333.
=20
If your interested email me and let me know what nights and wether =
primitive or fancy cabin camping suits you. We can also work out details =
such as weather logistics and cell phone numbers.
=20
I am also planning on spending the previous Saturday, Sunday and =
possibly Monday-in-Reelfoot Lake. There is a Grey's Fish Camp on the =
West side that has cheap, rustic cabins and motor boat rentals. Neat =
place and lots of fun to explore from. I stayed there a couple years ago =
w/ my son Coby... seems like i wrote a posti for the list but i cant =
find a record of it. ? ( does anyone know how to search old posts from =
the list? ) Critter road, lots of snakes and frogs, swarming silversides =
and an isolated population of Golden Topminnows. Bald Cypresses, stumps =
and Cobb's Fishhead.
=20
some notes...
No outhouse-in-Shine Eye but the Tyler Bend Visitor Center and its =
facilities are just across the highway.
The Buffalo River-in-Hwy 65 is about 2 hours north of little Rock. It =
would be too hard to break camp and arrive in Little Rock for the first =
speakers Friday morning, thus i will be staying in Little Rock Thursday =
night.
I dont know the regulations for the Buffalo yet. It would be fun to pull =
a siene. My simple desire is to snorkel and observe and relax. No =
collecting for me-in-this time. I know people can fish there for small =
mouth, so i figure other typical fishing regulations apply.
=20
ok... if your interested let me know!
casper

------_=_NextPart_001_01C53EF6.A14173A0

charset=3Diso-8859-1">=0A=
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">=0A=
=0A= =0A= =0A= =0A=

=0A=
As you know, = I am ALL about =0A= this!  :)  Thanks for organizing it Casper!
=0A=

=0A=
=0A= From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on = behalf of =0A= Prizma-in-aol.com