Re: NANFA-L-- flame chubbs

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:25:29 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_052A_01C5474F.84613A00

We patrolled pretty much the whole of Shelbyville / Manchester / =
McMinnville in TN and only saw two large males while we were on the =
Barrens (which came out of a detrital sulfurous mess of leaves!). Saw a =
lot of little ones that could have been flamers or atromaculatus. This =
was an area where we'd thought we'd see a lot (even found springs that =
were loaded with little rosyside and warmouth) but it was a nix on the =
flame chubs. Met some nice dogs in the process too :)

More detail to come under the title called "Compromised Creek" in my =
essay on our Southern Spring Fling whenever that happens.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Prizma-in-aol.com=20
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org=20
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- flame chubbs

the only other site i have seen flame chubbs was a lone individual =
while we were doing the urban stream survey in the chatt city limits. it =
was a small creek east of the city we used as a reference stream to =
illustrate more specie diversity in an un ubanized stream.
i have never seen flame chubbs in color in the wild tho a year ago i =
believe the tn aquarium had some IN color. even out of color they have =
golden spangles and flecks and a hint of red.
they are illegal to keep in tn as they are listed... due to their very =
limited habitat of springs and spring runs. it does not take many trips =
into the rural areas to see all the channeled spring runs, pasture land =
w/ no canopy over runs and dammed springs. it can be very disheartening.
i hope we / you are successful in finding many populations.
there are many springs out there and fun to snorkel if you find a good =
one.
still got your special mask?

casper
------=_NextPart_000_052A_01C5474F.84613A00

We patrolled pretty much the whole of Shelbyville / Manchester /=20 McMinnville in TN and only saw two large males while we were on the = Barrens=20 (which came out of a detrital sulfurous mess of leaves!).  Saw = a lot=20 of little ones that could have been flamers or atromaculatus.  This = was an=20 area where we'd thought we'd see a lot (even found springs that were = loaded with=20 little rosyside and warmouth) but it was a nix on the flame chubs.  = Met=20 some nice dogs in the process too  :)

More detail to come under the title called "Compromised Creek" in = my essay=20 on our Southern Spring Fling whenever that happens.