NANFA-L-- Fwd: NANFA-- Columbus Ohio collecting report

Subject: NANFA-L-- Fwd: NANFA-- Columbus Ohio collecting report
From: matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 09:38:53 CDT

Note: forwarded message attached.

attached mail follows:

I guess this is the first report on the new active board....
Met a friend, and prospective member, bought a cheap Frabill seine and headed out to some private property we were given acess to on the Scioto River. It was a nice green but wow was it a stiff flow. We didnt manage much in many pulls. The seine itself did not function too great. It is not weighted enough, the netting is too bouyant, and that leads to everything going under the net and a huge bulge in the middle floating upward. The downstream sweeping method worked much better for us.

List -
LMB
Mimic shiner (sand ... who knows)
Streamline Chub
Emerald shiner
Bluegill
Steelcolor/Spotfin shiner - they overlap here but I think they were Steels

Mussels - observed live and dead
L. fragilis - Fragile Papershell
T. donaciformis - Fawnsfoot
P. Clava - Clubshell (relict)
A. Plicata - Threeridge
L siliquidea - Fat Mucket
A. ligamentina - Mucket
E. crassidens - Elephant Ear

Headed over to Deer Creek SP where there is TONS of access to the stream and went to two different spots off Yankeetown Rd

List - Both sites

Gizzard Shad - a TON!
Spotfin/Steelcolor Shiner
Mimic (sand) shiner
Emerald Shiner
White Crappie
Bluegill
Bullhead minnow
LMB
Juv. Redhorse sp.
Creek Chub
Longear Sunfish ( I have amazing pictures - he came home with me)
Logperch
White Bass
Bluntnose minnow
Blackstripe Topminnow
Stonecat

Mussels - observed live and dead
L. fragilis - Fragile Papershell
T. donaciformis - Fawnsfoot
A. Plicata - Threeridge
L siliquidea - Fat Mucket
A. ligamentina - Mucket
E. crassidens - Elephant Ear
V. fabilis - Rayed bean - (?)
P. fasciolaris - Kidneyshell
L. costata - Fluted-shell
L. complanata - White Hellsplitter
A marginata - Elktoe
S. undulats - Creeper (the P.C. name)
E. dilatata - Spike
Q. quadrula - Maple leaf
T. Verrucosa - Pistolgrip
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:16 CDT