Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- A little mud never hurt anybody...
From: matt ashton (ashtonmj2003-in-yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 07:02:33 CDT

But was it really "growing". It's documented that in such stresses that uninio's go into a hibernation/topur stress related stage and do not grow in the physical sense but can continute to live for a long period of time, and actually will absorb shell for nutrients, like wasting itself away.

Jeremy T wanna add to this any???

We have found Corbicula sp. in the gunnels of our boats months removed from mussel surveys in gravel and sand that get by just on dampness, rain, dew, etc.

and where are you getting all these tanks from !!! haha

Todd Crail <farmertodd-in-buckeye-express.com> wrote:
Okay... Here's the latest experiment. I will blame Laura
Burbage if it fails! (just kidding :)

Yesterday, I had one of these...
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/100gal/01Tank.jpg

To which I added 80lbs of this...
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/100gal/02Tank.jpg

Yummmm....
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/100gal/03Tank.jpg

Capped it with 2" of my good old stand by and siphoned
off a fair portion of the free silts adjunct from the sandbed...
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/100gal/04Tank.jpg

Was very encouraged to find that I had been keeping
and growing one of these for a year in a 5 1/2 gallon
(unknowingly and in the dark for the most part, so phyto
couldn't be the food... So what was? I think detritus and
bacteria play more in mussel health than we might think :)
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/100gal/05Tank.jpg

Last night what I started with, kinda looked more like this...
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/100gal/06Tank.jpg

Tonight it looked like this...
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/100gal/07Tank.jpg

It's amazing how fast the biofilms lock up the fine silts. I figure
I have a few more days of "slightly turbid" to "semi-tannic" and
we're rockin'. Two 175 watt halides were enough, I'm not
going to fuss with vho's.

I have glitter lines again :)

Time will tell how this thing goes, good or bad.

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com