Re: RE: NANFA-L-- topics for discussion ..... off topic?

Subject: Re: RE: NANFA-L-- topics for discussion ..... off topic?
dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 16:15:29 CDT

Well, Can we continue this discussion, or is it too far "off topic"?

I'll take a chance, and venture a few more thoughts. I did as Peter suggested, and took a look-in-an archived discussion, dealing with "The Ugliest Fish in America," (I think I got the heading of the thread right). The discussion was in January 2004, and it was started by Jan Hoover, who followed the guideline of simply referring participants to a report in a newspaper. There followed a fairly lengthy series of emails, including ones from Bruce Stallsmith, Chris Scharpf, Todd Crail, and others. LOTS of posts, some of them expressing simply quickie thoughts, others lengthy expositions. Some of the posts (not by any of the above)made observations on laws, the relative intelligence of certain politicians and other public figures, the state of education and understanding of environmental conditions in the U.S., and American's values.

Like a lot of other forum's devoted to conservation, this one generated some "heat." It also gave me something to think about. Someone mentioned that writing letters to the editor of the newspaper in which the article about the 'ugliest fish ........ " appeared might be worthwhile. All in all, it is possible that the discussion stimulated some thought about conservation, but it is also possible that it produced no benefit. I for one was stimulated to learn more about the pallid sturgeon, and so, I have found a bit of reading to do.

Now -- is this thread about the pallid sturgeon the sort of thing that is now supposed to be "off topic," and therefore, "not acceptable"? I would hope that anyone who answers my question will have carefully read the thread and the guidelines first.

Thanks to those who have read this far.

Dave in Okieland, where thanks to a lot of attitude like that expressed in the article to which Jan referred us, sturgeon are almost certainly a thing of the past. But that comment risks being political, right?

Anyone who loves fish in this day and age, but who avoids controversy, is likely to have less to love in the future. Anyone who hopes to accomplish any restoration or conservaton without being involved in politics is naive-in-best.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"