RE: RE: RE: NANFA-L-- ichthyology degree

Subject: RE: RE: RE: NANFA-L-- ichthyology degree
From: Rose, Patrick PO (
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 10:48:02 CST

I am looking-in-two colleges right now, ODU(Old Dominon University) to
finish out my BS degree and-in-VIMS (Virginia Institute of Marine Science a
grad college of William & Mary). After talking to them about what I wanted,
this is what I have come up with, Biology with concentration in Marine
Biology for a BS, and from there make a determination on which grad lvl
class I want to get into. There turned out to be way more than I was
expecting, what I am wanting I guess is just to be able to study fish in
there natural habitat and also how to bring them into a controlled habitat
and have them breed and live as normal as possible. Ok so that's what we all
do now, but we all don't write books and get paid to do it so to speak. I
would like to come across that new fish that has yet to be discovered, then
know the ins and outs of it, what family to put it in and how to completely
classify it. This is why I use the Dr. Axelrod reference earlier. To the
best of my knowledge, even though he may have been unethical, he discovered
and put into writing allot about fish that people could easily understand.
That is what I want to provide to the hobby, something that people can
easily reference and know that it is reliable info.

My wife is interested in the study of dolphins and sea creatures (I know she
is reading this so I have to add not all sea creatures :) lol). So she may
be joining me in the studies if we can get a babysitter during class times.

And yes it seems that I am a jump right in person, but I have been
interested in this for a long time and it is just now time to take action. I
am also new to the current members of NANFA, not that the long time members
would remember me, since I was only here for less than a year. But I am glad
to see the support that I am getting from the members and I hope that one
day that I can return that support to the organization.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: RE: RE: NANFA-L-- ichthyology degree

Given your specific interests, you might want to look very carefully-in-the
programs-in-a land grant institution, (North Carolina State or Virginia
Polytechnic, Clemson, and University of Tennessee would be the ones nearest
you), and consider veterinary training (yes, there are fish vets). For
college teaching, you will need a graduate degree, preferably a Ph.D.
Veterinary schools offer Ph.D. degrees, and in some cases it is possible to
complete both a D.V.M. and a Ph.D. simultaneously. Figure on 6 years after
the B.S. for that as a minimum.

But, keep in mind that you should expect to be paid by the institution while
in graduate study. Not a high rate of pay, but maybe, in today's market,
$20,000 per year for a graduate assistantship for Ph.D. study-in-a major
university, considerably less-in-a lower tier school.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email:
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"
/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes
/ Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily
/ reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA,
/ visit . Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are
/ consistent with the guidelines as per
/ To subscribe,
/ unsubscribe, or get help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
/ archive-in-

: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 12:41:50 CST