Re: NANFA-L-- Saffron shiners et al.

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Saffron shiners et al.
From: Bob Muller (michiganfish-in-wideopenwest.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 19:19:37 CST

Todd
Take a little time and breed those fish!

I just took yellowfin shiners, gilt and sipsey darters out of my cold room.
the water was about 55 within a day it will get to about 65. They are in
blacked out tanks. 2 hours of light will be added for two weeks then they
will be put in regular tanks-in-15 to 18 hours of light per day. Then the
saffron shiner and Arkansas darters will come in from the cold for their
temp/light cycle. I would except the darters to be spawning in Feb. and the
minnows in March. The gilt darter male is in full color the books I have
say breeding-in-60-65 the female even looks a bit heavy now. If the
saffron and yellowfins act anything like rainbow shiners they will only get
their brilliant color the days they are spawning.

Bob Muller

: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 12:41:58 CST