Re: NANFA-L-- Dixie Lee Ray, Zoologist & Marine Biologist

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Dixie Lee Ray, Zoologist & Marine Biologist
From: Tom Watson (onefish2fish-in-comcast.net)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 22:33:22 CST

I knew her slightly. She was a prof-in-the UW when I was there before she
moved on to the AEC. My brother-in-law (chemical engineer) saw her as a
hero because she used elaborate models to prove that oil and radiological
accidents would have isolated effects on the environment. After the
Chernobyl accident she would not reply to my letters.

After her one term as governor she retired to her island home. She still
used the same veterinarian for her dogs as I used for my animals. We spent
some interesting hours discussing our differences in the waiting room.

Most people don't know that she was an avid duck hunter. She drove a war
surplus jeep that contained herself, a bunch of decoys, and two Labrador
Retrievers. One time by coincidence I was out on the street early in the
morning as she was leaving on a duck hunting trip. She stopped to say
hello. At that time I also enjoyed duck hunting and told her that if she
would wait a moment, I would grab my gear and joint her. She informed me
that for some time she had only hunted alone.

At first I felt that she was reacting to our earlier disagreements. Later
(after her death) I spoke with a person that knew her well who confirmed
that she had only hunted alone for some time.

She was a very inspiring person who moved a lot of people into the chemical
engineering curriculum-in-the UW. That same charisma was enough to get her
the governorship. Unfortunately her policies didn't lead to a better life
in the state of Washington.

One trait she showed to me was the ability to listen to an individual's
opposing opinion and, sometimes, concede a point. However, in public life
she was not so open minded.

I know from personal discussions with her that she had some conflicts. I
pray that she got that worked out before death.

Tom