Re: NANFA-L-- Kin Selection

jlw-in-dune.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:58:44 -0700

In my example, I was talking about a species on the verge of a speciation event,
where "normal" parents are still giving birth to mutant offspring (via
heterozygosity). This helps cover the predation issue, until boundaries begin
to evolve that segregate the species more properly.

Also, given a stress to the predator population, or a particularly potent toxin,
nature can arrive-in-a level where subsequant generations do not require
training -- they've got it-in-an instinctual level. It's fairly obvious how
this happens with a bad toxin -- obviously, if the predators are dying, those
that genetically "know" to avoid it are the only ones left to pass on their
genes! :) If it is not toxic, but just bad tasting or with mild effects, it
will take a stress to train the population, such as a shortage of food.

JW.

/ http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html To subscribe,
/ archive-in-http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/