Re: NANFA-L-- Missouri Legalizes Guddling

James Smith (jbosmith-in-gmail.com)
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 03:23:38 -0500

While I don't think it's strictly legal in Vermont, I used to catch
brook trout bare handed in the brook behind my house when I was
growing up. This was a small brook that you could jump over most of
the year and "deep" spots consisted of about 8" of water. It moved
fast enough and had enough springs that it never froze completely
though, so there was trout.

It took a lot of practice to learn to catch these fast fish. Most of
the time I used an old tennis ball tube and caught the ~2" long
babies, but a few times I caught 6" fish by hand. I would never have
been able to do this easily in bigger rivers, but the summer I chased
fish the most there I spent so much time-in-the 200' or so of brook
behind my house that I knew exactly how many fish were in each pool
and could identify almost all of them. No one else went there and it
was kind of like having a huge aquarium.

At the time it was just entertaining, but looking back I learned a TON
about brook trout. They are fairly smart but also fairly predictable,
especially when you get to know the individual fish. To this day I can
predict what the fish will do most of the time although they still
surprise me from time to time. Last summer there was a nice 4-6"
brookie that got stuck in a puddle when the river receeded after a
rain. The puddle was maybe 4' wide on average and about 20' long.

Similar to the catfish story earlier, I decided to save it. Within 5
minutes, its tail was sticking out of the top of the cardboard coffee
cup which was all that I had with me to chase it with and I was madly
dashing across the gravel to release it in the river.

This same puddle had about a gazillion young dace and suckers in it. I
spent all day the next day chasing those stupid fish with a 10"
aquarium net with very little luck. I just didn't know where the
little buggers were going to dart off to! Goes to show what a little
experience can teach you.

By the way, some of the blacknose dace, creek chub and white suckers
from that pool became my first locally native fish that I kept in a
tank for a while. I took them home to identify them and fell in love
with how active they all were.

Anyway, enough rambling.
Jim