Re: NANFA-L-- Raising Ghost Shrimp

Moontanman-in-aol.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:53:05 EST

--part1_6a.4bffba86.2f0c15e1_boundary

sajjadlateef-in-yahoo.com writes:

> Any suggestions on keeping them alive?
> Where do you find ghost shrimp in the wild? Are they found in
> Indiana?

I'm sure Sajjad knows more about their range than I do but I have managed to
keep them alive or-in-least keep a culture of them going for more than 3
years. They are much more predatory than most people give them credit for and will
eat their own young like candy. Mine live best when feed lots of live daphnia,
with a source of tiny live food they seem to be more likely to ignore their
own young. I have a permanent colony in rain barrels I raise daphnia in. the
rain barrels are either covered with algae on the inside or covered over the top
with azolla. In some of the barrels least killie fish coexist with the
shrimp. My shrimp are the kind that release fully form young like crayfish, not the
type that produce planktonic larvae. Even small fish will eat the adults when
they molt so they must be given a large area of dense algae mat or thick Java
moss type hiding. It's probably just as important to have these hiding places
for the young as it is for the adults. In a tank with fish it's rare for young
shrimp to survive-in-all. In the wild in my area shrimp are found in areas
where their is very dense cover, lots of thick algae mats and azolla and duck
weed mixed together. Areas of emergent vegetation are also a good bet. I catch
the kind I like to keep in swamp streams where there is current and large beds
of vallisnaria.

Moon

--part1_6a.4bffba86.2f0c15e1_boundary