Re: NANFA-L-- Parasitic Critters?

jlw-in-dune.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:13:33 -0700

The downside of natural gravel is that it can bring in such critters.... It
sounds like you may have anchor worms or flukes on the fish -- either one of
which can lurk as eggs in the gravel. There's a very real chance that they came
in on the fish, but if they're reaching a higher population level and
reproducing, chances are that they may become established in the gravel bed.

You can, as Bob suggested, remove them with tweezers to no ill effect. I've
pulled anchors off of fish that were so thick you could barely see the fish. As
logn as they're not rough-handled in the meantime, kept calm and wet (try
keeping the fish in a bucket of cool water while you work on him), the fish is
just fine.

The bad news is that if these buggers are established in your gravel bed, you're
going to be regularly pruning them. Even-in-that, chances are you will miss a
few, and only be doing this a few weeks from now again. You may want to try
some of the various commercial products that treat flukes and anchor worms. My
favourite, especially for larger aquariums and ponds, is jungle's Anchors Away.
I understand, though, that they've recently changed the formulae and while it is
more "environmentally friendly," it may not be as effective. I always liked the
pretty purple it turned my tank, too. :) Be aware that using a commercial
treatment may kill snails, scuds, and anything else that you want living in your
gravel.

Joshua.