Re: NANFA-L-- Question about Pirate perch's scientific name

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Question about Pirate perch's scientific name
ichthos-in-comcast.net
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 15:17:06 CDT

The -anus suffix is another way of saying "of." For example, "virginianus" means "of Virginia." My guess is that Gilliams picked "sayanus" over "sayi" for one or both of these reasons:

1) It has a double meaning, both honoring entomologist Thomas Say and referring to the fish's anal anatomical oddity.

2) Gilliams and Say were friends and colleagues. So maybe Gilliams was having some fun-in-Say's expense, forever linking Say's name with the rectal orifice.

And who knows, maybe Say was an assh*le.

Chris Scharpf
near Herring Run
Baltimore, USA

> Just wondering why the pirate perch's scientific name [species name]
> is sayanus? Why not sayi or something that is generally used?
>
> Tony
> River system outside North America
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org . Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html. To subscribe,
> / unsubscribe, or get help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> / archive-in-http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:21:33 CDT