RE: NANFA-L-- Native Aquatic Plants

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Native Aquatic Plants
From: Laura Burbage (leuhrich-in-yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 15:05:02 CDT

Hi Klaus,

Actually, I keep them under moderate to high light.
Here are some examples:
1) four 32 watt T8 bulbs over a 55 gal tank
2) 2 overdriven 32 watt T8 bulbs and 2 normal driven
40 watt T12 bulbs over a 55 gal tank
3) 3 10-gallon tanks under four 40 watt T12 bulbs
4) outside

Regarding your questions about substrates, I generally
use 1" topsoil with some very fine vermiculte under
1/2 to 1" gravel in the aquaria. Outside, I often
skip the gravel. I sometimes skip gravel inside too,
but only in unfiltered tanks. I'm currently
experimenting with cat litter (clay) and vermiculte
under gravel. For plants that are very heavy feeders,
I occasionally stick tiny bits of miracle-grow sticks
under the gravel near their roots. I have used sand
over the soil (both play sand and pool filter sand),
and the plants grow very well, but mulm tends to
accumulate on top of the sand; with coarse gravel it
settles lower. Lastly, I try to keep in mind where
the plant usually grows. If it grows in mucky soil, I
make sure my substrate is very fine. If sandy
streams, then maybe less organic material, etc. For
the Eleocharis acicularis you were asking about, I
grow it in seived topsoil/vermiculite. This is
because it's roots and runners are very fine, and seem
to penetrate better this way, making it grow faster.
I might use a finer gravel over this one, since its
stems are so delicate.

Oh - if anyone has any plants from the auction in SC
that didn't make it, let me know and I'll send you
some new ones. I was especially unsure about the
Mayaca fluviatillus (the frilly-looking thing). If
you have a Sarracenia, I forgot to mention that the
mid-summer leaves are usually phyllodia, and that the
big pitchers usually form in spring and fall.

-Laura