Re: NANFA-L-- Fw: NAS Species Alert - Piaractus brachypomus

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Fw: NAS Species Alert - Piaractus brachypomus
dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 11:17:48 CST

I don't know that I want to keep this thread going forever, though it is important, and perhaps NANFA could take a published position after appropriate study.

However, Moon, you make some points below that bely the reality and magnitude of the problem. You are a knowldgable and responsible aquarist. Some vendors are also knowledgable and responsible. Many people without a clue buy fish and not only do they know nothing, they get no help from the vendor. Been to a Walmart lately? Lots of those fish end up in aquatic habitats, and Los Vegas and San Antonio and Phoenix and Los Angeles and the Rio Grande Valley of Texas have human populations of multi-millions, as does Florida. The San Antonio R., far from being isolated, flows from the Hill Country of central Texas to the Gulf of Mexico, and intercommunicates with the larger Guadelupe R. This is a bad situation. The San Antonio R. is important, just as SE Coastal Plain streams are important, and just as the Great Lakes are important. We are almost certainly not going to get a population of characins established in the Great Lakes. WE might in the San Antonio R.

BTW, not all of Amazonia consists of soft water habitats. Much of the Amazon Basin includes hard water. In fact the Amazon R. itself is of the "White Water" variety, with pH high enough for mosquito populations, circum neutral. The soft water is mostly in the basin of its largest tributary, the Rio Negro, but even that stream has white water tributaries. In Amazonia, the term "white water" refers to streams that drain upland regions and carry heavy sediment loads, have relatively low tannin concentrations, and relatively high pH values. These streams abound with various species that go in this country by the general name of "pacu" and the populations are much greater than in the blackwater streams, which are less productive.

To answer a question you asked in another post, regarding livebearers in western habitats (including the N. Rockies): Mosquitofish, though a big problem, constitute only part of the problem. Mollies, platys, swordtails, guppies are all common in these habitats. There is no source for these fish in these locations other than the aquarium hobby and casual fish purchasers and keepers.

Since a majority of people who keep fish in their homes are not knowledgable and responsible, and many vendors also fit this description, general regulations are required. The various states have laws and regulations that make it illegal for anyone to introduce aquatic life to a body of water within the state without permission and coordination from the relevant conservation agency. Those are good regulations, and they cover even animals from local populations. Though you would never release a fish you had, most members of the general public would do so, thinking doing so was better than killing it. Education and regulation is the only way to curtail this. We can be a part of both.

Isolated and small habitats are important also. In many cases, protecting these is the only way we are going to protect biotic diversity. And yes, introduced exotics have done harm to native populations, including introductions that originated in the aquarium hobby. Firemouth cichlids have been introduced to the U.S. through no other means.

Florida regulatory agencies may have backed off, but not because the problem is less damaging or pervasive than formerly reported, but because the pet industry has powerful economic importance, and powerful political support.

Let's stand up for the integrity of our native ecological communities, and show that we truly do support North American native fishes.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"