NANFA-L-- Blackwater now nutria free

Subject: NANFA-L-- Blackwater now nutria free
From: Bob Bock (bockhouse-in-earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Nov 21 2004 - 12:11:37 CST

Hi all. Here's some good news for a change. Blackwater wildlife refuge on the easter shore of Maryland has been declared nutria free. The destructive rodents, native to South America had been eroding away-in-the marshland for decades after their accidental introduction into the state. It cost the state about $2 million to pay trappers to rid this sensitive area of the unwanted mammals. If you're ever in the area, be sure to stop in for a look. I've heard that blackwater has more bald eagles than any single location on the east coast. And in the spring, the red wing blackbirds are neat, too!

Now if we could just figure out how to get them out of Louisiana.

Blackwater Refuge Now Nutria-Free
Washington Post, DC - Nov 16, 2004
By David A. Fahrenthold. CAMBRIDGE, Md. -- After struggling for decades against an orange-toothed rodent that is eating the state's ...

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 12:42:52 CST