Re: { SPAM 1 }::Re: NANFA-L-- Cyprinella spawning experiences

Subject: Re: { SPAM 1 }::Re: NANFA-L-- Cyprinella spawning experiences
From: John Knight (knighjr-in-auburn.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 13:02:29 CST

Interesting you ask this question, because I do have a somewhat unusual
experience with spawning C. callesima (Ocmulgee shiner). Several years
ago I was collecting for the GAMNH in the dead of winter (a truely
miserable collection day). We recently hired a new member to our staff
that wanted some stream fish in a tank she was setting up.

Well I was running a little low-in-that time and decided to bring home 2
males and a female for my personal tank. My tank-in-the time was a 40g
long with jet pumps creating a "riffle" type of habitat. Well the water
temp-in-that time outside was ~6-8 C and my tank-in-home was room temp
(say 18-20) for converastion sake. Well I acclimated my fish for nearly
10 hours to get them used to my tank conditions.

So long story short, after introducing them to my tank within weeks the
males were tuberculate. Eventually I had fish spawning left and right
in my tank. I observed-in-least 3 nests that I could see. Although I
never was really able to rear them (I didn't really try). But the
interesting point was that there seemed to be more of a thermal cue and
not a photoperiod cue that induced spawning. The tank was located in a
room where the only light it received was from a window and was
obviously very similar to "natural' conditions.

On a side note, since then I have spawned C. gibbsi quite easily. So I
can't imagine callistia would be difficult. Stacked stream rocks in a
aquarium associated with some flow seems to work well for me ( along
with a temp change or maybe a photoperiod change). My two cents worth

JK

John R. Knight
Graduate Research Assistant
Alabama Cooperative Fisheries and Wildlife Unit
103 Swingle Hall
Auburn AL, 36849
Phone(cell): (706) 424-2495
Phone(work): (334) 844-9318
Fax: (334) 844-9208
Email: knighjr-in-acesag.auburn.edu
Alt email: inscriptum-in-hotmail.com

>>> psalm119.111-in-juno.com 11/26/04 12:24 AM >>>

Bruce,
I've had Spotfins spawn many times in community tanks as small as 30
gallons. The males get a bit aggressive with other fish but only
momentarily as they are much more interested in the females and sparring
other males.

I've also had the Fieryblacks from the conference spawn twice in a 55
gallon community since June. They behaved pretty much the same as the
spotfins though the females seemed to get beat up a bit more. They are
with mostly other shiners, a couple species of killies, a couple
suckers, a blackside darter and a small brindled madtom. And yes I've
been so busy I've not been able to attempt gathering eggs and raising
them which I so want to do.

I also had a trio of Saffrons spawn but the male seems to be gradually
wasting away as did a few others immediately after the conference. I
suspect many were-in-the twilight of their life as they never exhibited
any other signs of illness, one reason I generally like to bring some
youngsters home as well. Didn't with the saffrons unfortunately. I'm
hoping to make another try in the next month or so before the male loses
interest or ability.

Mike Lucas

Sign up for Juno Today-in-http://www.juno.com!
Look for special offers-in-Best Buy stores.
/ reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about
NANFA,

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 12:42:54 CST