Re: NANFA-L-- Detritivorous snail for Native Fish tank

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Detritivorous snail for Native Fish tank
From: Irate Mormon (archimedes at bayspringstel.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 22:40:11 CDT

Quoting Snailcollector at cs.com:

> Couldn't a fish serve as the second intermediate host?

Not for this particular parasite. Most digenetic trematodes are host-specific,
especially in their earlier life stages. Not so much in their terminal stage,
where they infect the final host.

In many cases, the amount of damage done is dependent upon the worm burden (i.e.
how many worms you get infected with), but the lung fluke (the animal in
question here) is particularly nasty in that it often finds it's way into nerve
tissue (brain, spinal cord) with fatal results. If you want to be cautious,
don't keep crayfish with MTS, native or otherwise.

> Andrew

--Irate
Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?
/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:40 CST