Re: NANFA-L-- recent Ash Meadows trip

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- recent Ash Meadows trip
From: Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 10:00:53 CDT

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, James Smith wrote:

> Where is ash meadows?

Ash Meadows is ~90 miles NW of Las Vegas right near the California border.
Devils Hole sits in the middle of it.

> Are cat tails invasive there? What a strange concept :-)

It's not entirely clear, but my guess is they are probably native, but
they tend to fill in spring pool habitats and outflows which favor exotics
like gambusia and crayfish rather than pupfish. Historically they are not
thought to have been particularly common, but with all the disturbance
they have gotten a strong foothold.

> Shoulda saved all those mollies, convicts and crayfish for me.. I
> would have found room.. somewhere.. well maybe not. Seems like
> wherever this is, convicts are fairly well established.. another
> rather foreign concept to me.

I realise you are half joking, but folks often ask us about that. It is
just too hard to keep this stuff alive and in good shape. But, if folks
who come along want to keep some alive to take home they are more than
welcome to. And yes, convicts are a strange concept, but there are
several places in Nevada where you can catch them, as well as an newly
established Texas cichlid population in Rogers Spring by Lake Mead.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Canadian River, Oklahoma
/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.