RE: NANFA-- Fish and Crayfish Burrow Coexistance- Was Erymozon

Hoover, Jan J WES (HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil)
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:36:59 -0500

The topic of crayfish burrow co-habitants came up once before. Its not
well-documented but there are at least two short articles on the subject. I
suspect there are more, especially in the older natural history literature,
but I have never gotten around to looking for this kind of information. The
two articles that I have seen are:

Creaser, E.P. 1931. Some cohabitants of burrowing crayfish. Ecology 12:
243-244. [Invertebrates]

Neill, W.T. 1951. Notes on the role of crawfishes in the ecology of
reptiles, amphibians, and fishes. Ecology 32: 764-766.
[Fishes - I believe that study was based on a combination of direct
observations of excavated burrows and on fish seen in previously dry ponds,
but am not sure. Have not looked at this article in a couple of years]

Here is a list of some organisms known to share crayfish burrows: seed
shrimp, copepods, amphipods, bluefin killifish, pirate perch, banded pygmy
sunfish, tadpole madtoms. Suspected crawdad roomies include: mosquitofish
and grass pickerel.

Also - I've seen golden topminnow and flagfish miraculously appear in
formerly, dry isolated wetlands in near Tampa, Florida and susected that
they may have been lurking in burrows.