Re: NANFA-- dusky darters

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:00:24 EDT

Yeah, I think we're going into peak darter season. I'm keeping 2 for the
first time, Eth. duryi (black darter) and Eth. tuscumbia (Tuscumbia darter,
from Helen Keller's hometown in Alabama!). The black is actually a very good
aquarium fish, after becoming acclimated to the tank she (I'm pretty sure)
actively patrols the tank looking for shredded worm. She complements the 2
stonerollers and 1 bigeye shiner pretty well. The Tuscumbia is much more
reclusive, although he/she will lunge for worm from cover and then retreat.
They're kept at room temperature in a room off of my greenhouse (shaded)
where day time temp is about 75 deg. F., maybe down to 68 at night, with a
timed 13 hour, 25 watt light at one end of a 10 gal. tank with external
filtration, strong air bubbler and pea gravel substrate.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL
(I saw the play "The Miracle Worker" the other night, so I'm up on Helen
Keller trivia.)