Re: NANFA-- Bush and the ESA

Bruce Stallsmith (
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:06:56 -0400

Suing the government for redress of grievances is very old in America and
the Crown colonies prior to 1775. The civil rights movement of the 1950s and
1960s was very court-oriented asking for the Constitution to be enforced.
All you have to do is establish "standing" i.e. demonstrate you're an
aggrieved party...

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL

> >Just because I don't like the way the government is enforcing it's laws,
> >I have the right to sue? I would suggest other channels should be
> >If a citizen can sue, then let's make it fair and be able to sue all
> >branches of the government when it is perceived the law isn't being
> >adequately enforced.
>Now, before we get any deeper into this, it's perhaps important to clarify
>me mean by "sue." This means simply to file suit. The person(s) filing suit
>not doing so to receive a cash settlement (the way a person might sue, say,
>company for negligence). Instead, they're filing suit in the hope that a
>court judge will render a judgment forcing the federal agency to adhere to

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at

/"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily
/ reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes
/ Association"
/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association
/ To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to
/ For a digest version, send the command to
/ instead.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,