Re: NANFA-- Re: 4/28 expedition report - Colochee and Upatoi Creeks, west Georgia

D. Martin Moore (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:49:43 -0500

On 30 Apr 2001, at 18:11, Bruce Stallsmith wrote:

> At least a bunch of them are Notropis longirostris, Longnose Shiners. When I
> woke up yesterday and the fog lifted, I realized that we had caught zillions
> of them in the Yazoo drainage at the Mississippi convention last summer.
> Males in breeding season (May/June) develop distinctly orange fins.

This is a very cool fish - I have some right now!

> > (4) the "pale minners with the hint of blue sheen above and below" >have
> >me stumped
> I think you're talking about the ones with the black caudal spot(?)
> including some fairly large individuals. If so, those are blacktail minnows,
> Cyprinella venusta, that can get up to 7" long. I _knew_ they were
> Cyprinella when I saw them but couldn't place them off the top of my head.

Another cool minner - very hardy.

> And other "pale minners" were probably silverjaw minnows, Ericymba buccata
> (hey, has the genus changed on these guys?). I got home with 3 or 4 of these
> guys, who are currently in a tank hiding out from my little Coosa bass.

Somewhat finicky, but a great Cyprinid! Unmistakable for anything
else. An awesome fish.

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS