Re: NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #1599: TN Collecting

Patrick Ceas (ceas_at_stolaf.edu)
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:03:07 -0600

<x-flowed>
Prizma_at_aol.com wrote:

>i think the darter size varies from location size to location. some areas
>only yield small redlines yet others can produce some massive ones. i think it is size and health of habitat that produces the according sizing.

Quality & quantity of habitat and food can certainly affect body size,
but even then, if you collect a representative sample, you can usually
lump individuals into fairly (and often quite) distinct size categories
that reflect different age groups (i.e., individuals who have
overwintered 1 yr vs 2 or 3 years). There certainly can be overlap at
the size limits of each age class, but you usually can see decent
bimodal or trimodal (or whatever) distributions of sizes.

>most darters are figured to live 2 or 3 years but some folks claim to have
>kept certain species alive for 6, 7 or even 8 years.

I have collected individuals of a few different species that, based on
size distributions relative to other individuals, I called 3 year olds
and kept them in tanks for another 2-3 years. Can't remember all the
species, but I can remember a few particular members of the orangethroat
complex, plus an orangefin, fantail, logperch, and one underappreciated
johnny. Not too unusual. I'm sure that others have kept individuals
alive longer than that.

Pat
</x-flowed>