Re: NANFA-- Blanket Bans & Mussel Culture?

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:19:24 -0800

<x-flowed>
At 05:17 PM 4/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>well, If i catch an invasive species
>like the zebra mussels on the mississippi, or
>the sqaw fish here in WA, I like to hide them
>in rocks, or drop them in between slats on the dock.
>I dont mind the smell and it scares off the competition
>fisherman. Saving the good fish.
>-luke

Squawfish aren't an invasive species. They've taken on some unfair
sinister role because they eat more "desireable" species like salmon
fry. This is something along the lines of your "good fish"
concept. Personally, that makes no sense to me, but I'm not going to say
you're an idiot or call you some other name. Salmon aren't endangered
because of squawfish eating them. They're in trouble from the habitat
destruction that makes them susceptible to squawfish predation in the first
place. I'm talking about habitat destruction from the Columbia and Snake
River dams. Every time you turn on your lights you're using electricity
generated by those dams and personally contributing to the habitat
destruction that is driving these fish to extinction.

Walleyes in the Columbia River are a serious threat to outmigrant salmon
smolts-- so are smallmouth bass-- but they don't get the negative reactions
because they are a desireable game fish-- and all introduced!

Think about getting the book Inland Fishes of Washington and read about all
these fish.

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA