Re: NANFA-- Quantative Sampling?

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 19:59:28 -0700

<x-flowed>
At 10:29 PM 4/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>To test this extreme condition, they felt that sampling the floodplains
>adjacent above and below during flooding might lend an insight into who is
>where when and why.

Seining a floodplain for large fish seems a major headache to me, but I
could be wrong. Have you considered that some of these migrant fish may
enter the floodplain at night and be back in the river channel before you
have your morning coffee?

Have you thought about building temporary weirs in the floodplain to herd
and/or hold the fish there?

How about funnel (or hoop) nets? Swimming fish would encounter a block
net, which will direct them into a series of hoop nets-- kind of like a
deep bag-- that are designed to prevent escape. They could be placed in
high traffic areas, and it's non-lethal. It's a passive form of sampling--
you leave them alone, say overnight or for several hours or whatever-- and
to quantify your catch you'd have to incorporate time the nets were in the
water, and the percentage of the available water that the nets were taking
up. Placing these properly in a floodplain would require a lot of
thought. They work somewhat well in sampling lakes or ponds for large fish
that cruise the shoreline after dark.

Just tossing ideas out.

--
Jay DeLong