RE: NANFA-- Newbie

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:47:21 -0400

Oh boy, wrong state to live in Adam. Our NANFA rep is Todd Crail and he is
going to tire us out this year. He has a few outings planned already this
year (May 3 and May 10 both up in northern Ohio). We have a few diehards in
Ohio that just won't take no for an answer. Do you have the means/interest
to do trips within a two hour or so radius of you ? We already had one
outing called "Ohio NANFA: to the extreme" in February. Caught more ice
than fish but we had a good time. (Check out http://www.farmertodd.com/
and go to the nature/ native fish link for field trips) Lots of things will
be happening, I hope you are up for it (I'm not, but I guess I will just
have to grin and bare it!).

Welcome to the Ohio bream team/darter charter/dace race (any others?)

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Golden D. Dog
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 9:12 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- Newbie

Hello, just thought I would introduce myself since
I am new to this list. My name is Adam, I reside in
the central ohio area (very close to Knox Lake in
fact,) and I have recently decided to take up cold
water aquaria with native fish. I have three tanks,
one is discus oriented, one mixed tropical, and my
third most recent addition is a 50 gallon cool water
tank that I have put a couple of bluegill in. I am
totally new to native fish keeping and was looking for
information on the care of bluegill when I ran across
the NANFA site. After skimming through the list
archives I decided I would join. You guys sound a
little crazy (read some messages from past years
fish/snake collecting) which I like, and I totally
agree with the educational aspect of native
fishkeeping ( I love talking to people about all the
tropics I keep, and once I learn more about bluegill
them as well.) Anyway, I would like to have as
natural of a tank as possible, following that end
would anyone care to give give me some advice? Right
now I have brought the temp to 60 in my tank and have
a plecostamus and a couple of very small corys as my
cleanup crew, since I am familiar with tropical fish
I chose those 2, but I would very much prefer to
replace them with any native equivalent if possible,
besides the bluegill have been eyeing the cory and I
know it is just a matter of time till they become a
snack. Are their any other native fish that will
coexist peacefully with the bluegill? Also, I would
very much like to educate myself more on native
aquaculture, can anyone reccomend a good book or books
to start with ? Thanks in advance, and I look foward
to corresponding with everyone.
Adam