Re: NANFA-- Help with Sunny ID

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:34:23 -0400

Lepomis species can and do hybridize in nature, but I just don't think it's
all that common an occurence. That all begs the question of what these two
fish are, I certainly have no strong opinion from the photos. But in three
years of working with hundreds of bluegills and pumpkinseeds in two ponds in
Massachusetts I never saw an individual fish that wasn't convincingly one or
the other. Sometimes I think we confuse natural variation within a species
with hybridization. As always, your mileage may vary...

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A