Re: NANFA-- Green H2O & BBS resources & feedin' them fry

Al G Eaton (sege7_2000_at_yahoo.com)
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Amy!!!

yes, if you go to http://www.gcas.org you will see an
article written by Fred Hamilton on Longear sunfish.
He successfully bred and raised a batch in his 1000
gallon aquarium. I am sure Fred can advise you on how
to get the fry through the initial critical days of
life.

If you go to Jack's you can purchase a small vial of
BBS eggs that should hatch for around $2. That should
be enough to feed a dozen or so fry. I am not sure
how big your fry are, so I am not sure if they can eat
bbs right off the bat. You can also try feeding them
frozen bbs which is also available at Jack's. I am
just starting a green water culture again as well as
daphnia and Moina, so they are unavailable at this
point. Other foods you might try are cyclopseeze,
which you would have to pulverize in a blender or
rotifers, which you can obtain from
http://www.sachsaquaculture.com He also sells
Ceriodaphnia and selenestrum as culture critters.

Feel free to call me and I can talk you through
hatching out bbs.

Klaus

--- Claudette Goldstein