Re: NANFA-- thoughtcrimes (was Eco-nomics)

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:32:08 -0400

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:40:30 -0400
> From: Christopher Scharpf
> Subject: NANFA-- thoughtcrimes (was Eco-nomics)
>

> Here's my "thoughtcrime" for the day -- Aren't the farmers receiving
> compensation from the government already in the form of subsidies, and the
> whole federally funded water delivery infrastructure itself? If so, why
> can't they share? In exchange for all these nice dams and canals and
> diversion ditches, you give us some water for the sucker. Is that too much
> to ask? If the farmers say no -- after all, they "own" the water -- then may
> I suggest that the federal government dismantle and remove its diversion
> dams and irrigation canals and other water conveyance systems, leaving the
> farmers with ALL the water that is so rightfully theirs.

You have an interesting point there Chris.
Many farmers have indeed been hooked on federal subsidies that often
encourage wasteful usage of water and other resources. I wonder if the
farmers in the Klamath valley know anything about drip irrigation? Maybe
they could be taught better ways to farm that would benefit both the
environment and their bottom line. There has to be experts out there who
could donate time and effort to analyse the situation and figure out
changes that could be made. Hopefully the farmers and those who want to
perserve the fish will still be able to trust each other enough to sit
down and work something out.

Maybe private charities could raise money to help tide the beleagered
farmers over through the drought or better yet : aide the farmers in
implementing water conserving technologies and other strategies.

Jeff