Re: NANFA-- TFH gar article

Brian Haas (bhaas_at_netexpress.net)
Mon, 05 Aug 2002 21:43:01 -0500

Ray -

I tried to use my copy of the Peterson to aquaint myself with the gar
species in question as well as to try to identify the fish in the picture,
but Page and Burr's method of checking for bony plates on a portion of the
belly (the isthmus) doesn't appear to be applicable here.

What identifying charcteristics do you use?

Then again, what about using size? The article lists the sizes of the
female and male to be 49 in. and 45 in., respectively. The Peterson lists
the maximum size of L. oculatus to be 44 in., with the Florida gar maxing
out at 52 in. With that in mind, I'd have to at least question Azuma's
identification.

Does G.A.S.S. have a listing of world records? Would Azuma'a supposed
oculatus measure in as record breakers? Captivity can make sizes
unimportant, but the evidence is still pointing its fingers.

Travis Haas
Hazel Green, WI