Re: NANFA-- hummingbirds

Tom Watson (onefish2fish_at_attbi.com)
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:58:50 -0700

There is an article in the July 27th issue of Science News titled "Making
Scents of Flowers", where the discussion is about chemically examining the
scents given off by flowers to understand species specific reactions and
symbiotic relationships. As always this publication gives a synopsis of
recent research. In this case they mention the Hawkmoths and the chemical
effluents that their focus flowers exude as part of a larger discussion.
Here's a quote:

"Other researchers have been testing fragrances of flowers pollinated by
hawkmoths. In the October 2001 Phytochemistry, Rachel Levin of the
Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., and her colleagues reported a
survey of 20 species of flowers called four o'clocks, many of which bloom at
night and attract hawk- moths. The majority of the hawkmoth-pollinated
flowers emit- ted spicy aromatic alcohols and esters, as scientists had
predicted, but so did a few relatives that attract other pollinators."

Their discussion of figs and their relationship with wasps is more
enlightening. Pollinators of figs are species to species connected. 750
species of figs, 750 species of wasps. Taxonomically, wasps are a better
marker than figs plants for fig plant species.

In college we referred to olfactory hormones as pheromones. While this
article avoids that distinction, the scents they describe seem to fit that
peridyme

I will gladly send an ocr version on to off list request. Some may think
that this is off-topic because it only responds to a reference to Hawkmoths.
However, the research possibilities that surround pheromonal like
interactions between fishes and between fishes and other species in their
environment are enormous.

Tom
Federal Way, WA