Re: NANFA-- heh -- Now Improved with Reason (tm)!

IndyEsox_at_aol.com
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:45:22 EDT

Subj: Re: NANFA-- heh -- Now Improved with Reason (tm)!
Date: 7/9/03 10:57:46 AM US Central Standard Time
From: farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com (Todd Crail)
Sender: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net

Thanks Shane :) I'll look through all the airlift stuff later this
evening. Would you mind emailing me that pdf? I can put it up on my
website and anyone else could look at it then too, if they're interested (if
you don't mind).

The studfish is from Alabama at the Convention. Jeff Riebe brought back two
pair and the males were getting medieval on each other. So we played "pass
the fish". I know I said I was gonna only keep local natives... But there's
just no way I could say no... So don't anyone get any ideas about running
redline or tangerine darters under my nose... ;)

There's a great population of fantails in a very hilarious spot. Remember
under the I-75 bridge over Riley Creek at Village Park where copious amounts
of the Mennonite forbidden "nectar of youth" was consumed in college?
Yeah... We were "breaking the seal" on the poor buggers. :) Monster sized
orangethroats in there too. Riley Creek, despite it's reputation is
actually pretty decent quality. Good spot for longear sunfish too. We need
to get down there and hit it. Also found blackstripe topminnows in the pond
at Village Park, but I haven't seen them there in the couple trips I've made
back by there.

However... This weekend... We should encounter droves of the topminnows in
Sandusky county in at least one of the streams we sample. I spoke with Dr.
Cavender at OSU yesterday about species assemblages in the county...
Blackstripe topminnows are pretty much new invaders to the area (last 15
years... He's watched them move from stream to stream). As they move into
the empty niches that were formerly the habitat of the western banded
killifish (now state endangered), their populations explode (like with any
"exotic"). I saw this in Muddy Creek, I expect to find the same in the
other streams (as did he). So if you can't make it up, I'll bring you back
a couple. Very rewarding fish to keep :)

I'm feeding the same stuff. I think you've nailed it with the color of the
gravel. I've found that darker substrate always inspires any species of
fish to light up those chromatophores better than lighter substrate. I get
a really nice effect by having the dark substrate and then patches of open
sand (serious contrast), but I've yet to catch a good shot there yet. It's
seriously cool to watch them dart into the open :)

Todd