NANFA-- tangerines in streams

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:37:34 -0800

<x-flowed>
At 08:15 PM 12/10/00, Dave Neely wrote:
>That said, one January a couple of years ago I spent two hours on a river
>in eastern Tennessee bobbing around in a drysuit trying to dipnet
>tangerine darters. I had forgotten my weight belt, and could not submerge
>without incredible effort, even after purging all of the air out of the
>suit. My antics attracted a small group of 4 or 5 darters who were really
>inquisitive- they'd swim up to get a closer look, I'd dive down, swipe
>with the net, and they'd zip right out of the way as I shot back to the
>surface. I finally resorted to grabbing a big boulder and balancing it on
>my stomach like a sea otter, sinking down to the bottom, and then swiping
>with the net in one hand as they came in to laugh at me. Even as
>distracted as they were, they still got the better of me. I don't think
>I've ever been as frustrated in my life (well, on second thought, there
>once was this girl...)

Dave, you fool, that's the way to catch boulder darters, not tangerine
darters! You tie a sack of tangerines around your waist to get those :-)

Seriously, would anyone care to guess how someone taking crude stream
habitat measurements could an orange?

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------- /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes / Association" / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to / nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead. / For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org </x-flowed>