NANFA-- The unreliable nature of verbal permission ----- was: All this talk about pickerel, gars,

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:22:48 -0800

When I first decided to keep native fishes, I was determined to acquire some
redside shiners. I called the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and asked
about the legalities of collecting them. My call got transferred around a
bit, and finally I was speaking to "the man who should know." This man said
no problem. Go ahead and collect them. Use a dip net. Everything that I
wanted to hear. I was elated that it was so simple to find out if I was
planning a legal activity.

I began packing the car, and was lacing my boots when my phone rang. I
impatiently answered only to find myself talking to "the man who should
know." It was two hours later, and he was calling me back to tell me that
he did some checking, and it turns out I would need special permits. If he
had waited five more minutes, I would have been at the river getting
(possibly) arrested.

I never trust anything given to me verbally by ODFW employees now.

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org