Re: NANFA--thatpetplace.com

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:28:19 -0500

I just had to comment on this! You would have loved my store! I had
quality products, clean store area, healthy fish, good service and products
that were not available at those "clone zone" type stores! HA! In
addition, I resent the fact that towns and cities all over are trading their
individuality and uniqueness for retail outlets that are continually driving
out of business the LOCAL independents under the guise of "free enterprise"
"taxes" and "jobs" Fact is, we lose jobs and taxes when these entities are
allowed to establish themselves and take over our communities. HOW???
Well, they often get tax abatements to locate in an area as well as drive
out of business those business that were already contributing to the tax
base. As an independent business owner, I have seen this from experience. In
addition to the above we also lose jobs by business going under and
surrendering to the corporate conglomerates, as well as get into positions
that have tax payers subsidizing new infrastructure to support such
entities. Another bad thing about those places is that it drives business
away from the urban hub.... and then ..... we have sprawl..... the very
thing that threatens our beloved native fish habitats. In conclusion, I
refuse to shop at places that "greenwash" like Wal-Mart, for example. Here
is a place that boasts how much they help the environment, while clearing 70
acres of woods to tell us that!!!! That's like a person who gives to a
cause to help battered and abused wives, only to keep beating his own! If
we care about Native Fishes and habitats, then we would refrain from
supporting such businesss even if it costs a few pennies more. What results
is far more costly in the long run... to all....
economically,environmentally, and socially. Support your independents, where
you will often find competitive pricing, and folks who will go the extra
step to help you get something different. Shopping would then be a memorable
experience, and let us remember that it was small service oriented and
unique Aquarium stores that built the ""pet type" business in the first
place...... Thanks, R. Carillio