Re: NANFA-- School teacher needs help

m c (midgatutordigests_at_yahoo.com)
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 13:20:09 -0800 (PST)

Cichlid: family of secondary fresh water fishes
primarially differentiated by the presence of a second
set of teeth located in the throat, also only a single
set of nostrials.

They superficially resemble perch and can even confuse
taxonimist, as was the case with Jordanella floridia,
the "American Flag Fish". This species was originally
classified as a pygmy sunfish, and then a dwarf
cichlid, until it was relized that it is acutally a
"pupfish", a member of the Killiefish class.

I do know a few things about cichlids, and perch, and
a few other thngs. Not as much as I know about
"peaceful tropical community fish" for 20 gallon
tanks, which is what I researched for 2 years before
setting up my first tank at college.

Mr Grainer responded to a question that I had about
some hybrid Jewel cichlids that he had on Aquabid with
an offer to provide me with some for my class room. I
initially accepted the generous offer, but later
declined when I relized what a handful mulitple pairs
of cichlids with a simular "rabbit like" breeding
reputation Convict cichlids would be. When I
initailly heard that they were "West African" I
thought tha they were simular to "Kribs" and only
relized my error after researching them.

And yes, I am interested in free fish. Which I
consider a ligitimate reason for joining this list as
your organization's site has details of its
educational goals.

And I have already spent 400$+ of my own money on
equipent and livestock.

Just so we are clear where every one is. As you said
after I declined:

"No problems, Good luck"

=====