RE: NANFA-- Green water turns red

Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS (HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil)
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:00:02 -0600

Some protozoans are red, such as Blepharisma.
Apparently, the pigment is variable depending on light intensity:
http://www.ib.pi.cnr.it/groups/blepha/bj-photo.htm

I know from doing "hay infusion" demos for biology students, that ciliates
show up after cultures with populations of flagellates (like Euglena) have
crshed.

-----Original Message-----
From: R. W. Wolff
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 12:46 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- Green water turns red

I have three green water cultures on a window sill. One of them turned red,
well red in the sun.. It does not smell bad, so I don't think it is dead
green water, and the stuff stays suspended without help. I don't have a
microscope so I cannot see if they are tiny animals swimming around or what.
If I dump it in clear water, it looks just like how the green water acts,
like the teeny particles are moving on there own. Could this be another type
of protozoan similar to euglena that makes up green water? A rotifer of some
type? Or have I found the freshwater red tide?

Ray