Re: NANFA-- Plants, substrate, and Canidate sand darter.

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:50:51 -0600

<x-flowed>
Etheostoma gracile make a great canditiate from the southern contingent
and will adapt to cool or warm water. It doesn't bury itself in sand
but will on occasion hide in mosses and algae and roots. I just got a
new digital camera and I took some shots of E. gracile in my 55 gallon
last night. attached is the link.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/maxx8/vwp?.dir=/Aquarium+Photos&.dnm=E.+gracile.jpg&.src=ph

The "DCP" photos are the most recent .

John

Crail, Todd wrote:

>The only one that comes to mind is the hogchoker canDidate that Jay mentioned and I'm not sure about ease of keep on that, so your research is prolly right.... The western isn't any better off than the eastern. They're both midwest/central species that favor sandy streams and due to the area's near total deforestation and misguided land use practices, there isn't much um, sand left at the surface.
>

>Perhaps you could find a better canDidate from the land of Oz where you'd propsed you'd potentially gather 'dem purty Melanotaenids (albeit they're exotics ;). A lot of the gudgeons have *very* interesting behavior from what I understand.. I've just never kept any and I have no idea where to get them. The RML list would be the best source for that.

</x-flowed>