RE: NANFA-- classroom_aquarium_curr

Denkhaus, Robert (Robert.Denkhaus_at_fortworthgov.org)
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:06:37 -0600

Thanks for the link, Bill. This stuff looks great and is something that I
have been kicking around in my head for awhile. Having a model always makes
things earsier.

However, a quick run through the material made me realize a couple of
problems. First, on the last page under the heading "Note" it says, "If you
have a fish that has grown too large, you can return that fish to the water
from which it came." There's an obvious problem with this statement and maybe
someone should point it out to them. Maybe even an official request from
NANFA to remove the offending sentence.

Second, I see no reference to any regulations or ethics. I am not familiar
with Arkansas' regulations but I imagine that someone (the teacher?) has to
have at least a fishing license in order to collect. There is also no mention
of endangered/threatened species, only taking a few of a species, habitat
deterioration or anything else that can happen when you turn a group of kids
loose to go collecting.

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge