RE: NANFA-- collecting florida fish in tennessee

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:17:05 -0500

Heh. Once I went into a chain store and there was a dominant male Bluegill
(like in full breeding color, cephaphic hump looking forehead) in with some
Silver Dollars in one of those 12x12 sections of the racked store units. The
Silver Dollars were all huddled in a back corner, and the danged thing just
kept making circles and going BAM! BIFF! POW! right into them. They had like
8 other tanks empty among the racks, I pointed out that it was a Bluegill and
it would kill the Silver Dollars before anything happened, and it would be
advisable to move that fish, if not just euthenize it. I was told that I
didn't know "what the heck you're talking about, that fish was CLEARLY
labelled as a Silver Dollar because the guy who does the acclimation of fish
orders knows his fish."

I thought "Okay, well Junior here isn't going to get me anywhere, maybe I can
talk to the manager." Yeah right. I got an even more indignant attitude out
of him. I dropped back and punted and asked that they *just* move the fish to
an empty cube and warn potential buyers that this was a highly aggressive
specimen, that it'd make toast out of pretty much anything less than a full
grown territorial mbuna (I think a chipokae would be about the only one who
could handle this customer lol), and "look... That one Silver Dollar doesn't
have much of a gill plate now, how nice."

I guess he didn't like being told (uhhh... I thought I was asking politely?)
what to do.

After somewhat of a scene as I were a much more intense young man... Where I
pretty much informed *everyone* in the store that this fish would in fact kill
pretty much any other fish that looked similar to it, that this business is
unappologetic about it, and you all should consider your activity supporting
this business as it has certainly demonstrated not even a *hint* of remorse
for it's abuse of animals (people were leaving the store at this point, it
made some uncomfortable I think, a few people stayed in the parking lot to
thank me for standing up for the animals and the consumer)...

I was informed that if I didn't leave the premises immediately, I would be
telling my passionate story to a man in blue.

I left and giggled the whole way home.