RE: NANFA-- winter collecting in KY

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:56:25 -0500

Yeah which is really weird because now that these stonerollers have warmed up
(tubercles are starting to pop up :) are the most active fish in the aquarium,
even more so than the dace. I guess they really close down in the cold.
Would make sense, since their food sources are going to be a bit more slow
growing for the next couple months.

I wonder if they switch more to cyanobacteria and slime algaes in the winter?
Hmmm...

-----Original Message-----
From: geoff
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 5:46 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- winter collecting in KY

The 2 stonerollers in Floyd Fork were found in the boundary between faster
and
slower moving water. In Logan creek, they were found in clumps of plants and
in deeper water. Thinking back, they were much less active in the net than
usual. The other minnows we caught were not as sluggish. Makes you wonder.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY