NANFA-- Fishing in Europe

Mark (nanfa_at_jonahsaquarium.com)
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:54:57 -0500

At 6:26 PM -0500 12/8/03, geoff wrote:
>You know what's the creepiest?
>(last line of the story)
>Only one other angler has drowned on the same stretch of river since 1934,
>according to the Civil Service Angling Society which owns the fishing
>rights.
>How can a group own fishing rights to a piece of river?
>Would I have to get permission to fish in the Thames from this group?
>Geoff Kimber
>Lexington,KY

Apparently, a lot of Europe is like that. Fishing "clubs" are the
authorities having jurisdiction over fishing licenses and rules for
particular areas. I think you have to effectively join a club to get
the right to fish (maybe only in freshwaters). It's very different
from the US where states have jurisdiction except in private waters
or Federal parks. I'll bet Steffen can shed a little more light on
this.

--
Mark
Ohio