Re: NANFA-- fishroom fires etc

Crail, Todd (todd.crail_at_learnshare.com)
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:28:33 -0500

I'll second Josh's comments. Never ever ever ever ever ever daisy chain
"surge protectors". There are _so many_ points of failure inside one of
those strips it's scary. Add some moisture and it's downright deadly.

After I about burned the house down when the cat knocked a timer running 2
400w metal halides (~ 8 amps) sorta loose from the power strip, which was
behind the couch (another BAD idea), and the stupid things (both timer and
strip) melted both the casing plastic and the wire.... and THEN failed (the
breaker never kicked!!!)

Yeah. You read that right. It only failed because it burned up its
connection to its power source before it caught anything on fire!

I'll not even bring up all the times I've been bit because of humidity or
water on a strip or whatever that was in place at the time I bought my fish
shop.

I've gotten into the habit of putting a recepticle _box_ where I need them
in the "fish room" and then using one of those 6 way plate splitters that go
directly into the recepticle (no face plate! take it off!). Or if it's in
the living room or whatever, I do the same on the outlet I'm using.

Powerstrips are a big no no with water. Sometimes I'll use them as a
temporary fix for a situation, but only as a temporary fix.

Learning how to wire and test isn't as hard as it may seem, and it could
save a load of trouble down the road.