RE: NANFA-- peacock bass

Downs, Chris (CDowns_at_bridge.com)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:03:34 -0600

Hunting and fishing licences/fees are a significant source of funds. I was
still thinking of something else.....

-----Original Message-----
From: mcclurg luke e
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 3:16 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- peacock bass

Not quite accurate, at least in Kansas anyway. Money is obtained through
the licensing of sport fishing. These funds, along with those garnered
from hunting licenses, also benefit "non-game" species in habitat
restoration, purchasing of environmental easements, outright purchasing of
land for protection and other efforts. It's not a huge amount of money,
but it is a start. The only funding I know of for non-game native fishes
comes from the people who buy hunting and fishing licenses.

Luke

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Jay DeLong wrote:

> Chris Downs said:
> > An uninteresting question. A more interesting question is who is
> > paying the
> > $$$ for habitat protection/restoration for those native fishes?
>
> Until the public sees a need to protect habitat, there won't be money for
> this, except for efforts like:
> 1- small groups of people across the country now involved in local stream
> clean programs (community stream-clean groups, school groups, etc). But
> what they do can be undone in a second if there aren't laws and money
> permanently directed at the problem.
>
> 2- the USFWS and NMFS, who step in when a species is endangered, but they
> don't protect habitat unless it impacts a rare species. Then who pays?
You