Re: NANFA-- chillin'

Richard Bell (bellphoto_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 18:54:51 PST

Scott,

I've messed with the idea of building some sort of chiller from a water
cooler as well. I spoke with a few refrigerator service folks but switched
direction soon as I'm doing salt water which would be too corrosive. Another
concern is the possibility of leaching from the copper. You may want to
check into it further. I'm just throwing out some of the concerns that I
remember.

I've had some people tell me of simply buying a used freezer and coiling as
much hose inside it as possible and then pumping the water through it and
adjusting the climate controls and flow rates. It would be worth a try as a
commercial chiller will run you several hundred dollars. I bought a used one
thinking I could save some $ but it had lots of trouble and I ended up
getting a new one. So far, it works great and efficiently chills 75 gallons
down to 55 degrees without much strain even in the summer.

Keep us posted on your progress please.
Richard