Re: NANFA-- Mean worms....

geoff kimber (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:44:56 -0600

I kept red worms this year until I moved. I don't have my tanks set up yet,
but when I do, I'll probably start up with worms again.

I kept the worms in a plastic tub with a locking lid. I picked this to keep
my kids out of the worms. My 4 year old likes to help daddy and he was
forever trying to 'feed the worms'

The worms were kept in a mixture of 50% peat moss and 50% shredded black and
white newspaper. I fed them vegetable kitchen scraps. Worm guys say that
1lb of worms will eat 1 pound of vegetable stuff per week.

I used red worms (eisinia fetida) and fed them to blue gills, warmouth, rock
bass, orange throat darters, and a bunch of varied dace.

I'm not entirely sure that red worms are the best worms to use however. I
noticed the sunfish would sometimes take a worm, chew on it and spit it out.
I'm not sure why, and I could usually talk something in the tank to take the
worm.

Worms don't smell if you bury the vegies you feed them. This also keeps the
fruit flies down. Feeding protein rich food (like meat) stinks and the
worms don't need it anyway.

As far as my wife's reaction, she is incredibly tolerant. When I ask her
why, she tells me that fish keeping is cheaper than golfing and at least I'm
home most of the time.