Re: NANFA-- water circulation trick

Sajjad Lateef (sajjad_at_acm.org)
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:47:05 -0600 (EST)

I read of a trick which allows automation of a task when the
lights go off.

Most of us have lights on standard christmas light timers which
are set to turn on and off at certain times. However, we sometimes need to
accomplish stuff (say turn on an airstone) when the lights go out.

To automate this, get a cheap blub-type night-light. Take it apart
to get the circuit (with the photosensing diode). Connect the airstone or
whatever device to where the bulb would be and place the photosensing
diode close to the lights in the hood, connect the plug-end into an
outlet. Voila ... an anti-timer :). This does require some minor DIY
electrical work and you have to be careful since its going to be near
water.

And, Martin, I am able to get elliptical currents using one single
(but powerful) powerhead. I placed at the bottom on the right side in the
middle of the tank. The output is pointed at the middle of the front
glass. With all plants, obstructions in the center of the tank, the water
flows readily along the sides in an elliptical pattern (easy to see when I
dump in some sinking pellets). This is my "river" tank and the shiners
appreciate the current.

Sajjad