NANFA-- RE: Postal Rates

Mark (mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:06:15 -0500

At 6:09 PM -0800 2/13/01, Joshua Levy wrote:
>I once ordered fish via priority mail, and when they didn't show up
>in 7 days, called the post office. They told me that they didn't
>even consider "priority mail" late until it was 30 days old.
>THIRTY DAYS! That "average delivery 2-3 days" stuff only covers a
>couple of the largest cities. Unless you live in downtown NY or LA
>you wont get that average.

I have had the opposite experience -- Boxes sent to the east coast,
especially NYC, are often delayed. I think it's just a very busy area. On
the other hand, I have had very consistent results with two day delivery,
shipping on Tuesday for arrival on Thursday, to addresses in many states
including California, Indiana, South Carolina, and Missouri. I am shipping
from Ohio. One strategy I use is to take the boxes to the main post office
in Columbus. This avoids delays as packages are routed from outlying
offices to the main distribution center. I also never ship Priority near
the end of the week. Tuesdays seem to work really well.

They can only offer you a promise of average delivery time because you are
only paying for average (First Class Mail) delivery time. If you want the
fastest service, you have to pay for it. Seems fair to me.

Mark
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com