Re: NANFA-- FW: Aquaticinfo: Pirate Perch?

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos_at_charm.net)
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:06:17 -0400

Interesting. I just checked *American Aquarium Fishes* which Harper
co-authored. The section on Aphredoderus spawning largely follows Katula's
account: place a group of pirates in a thickly planted sand-bottomed 10
gallon. Feed heavily with live food. Males will create and defend spawning
caves. Spawning occurs in early spring.

It seems simulating winter and the on-set of spring is a spawning cue.
Keeping the fish in darkness and gradually increasing the photoperiod may
help.

These are cool fish. Uniquely American. Nothing like them in the rest of the
world.

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore